Friday, August 5, 2016

MS Excel 2003: Apply a filter to an existing filter

Question: In Excel 2003/XP/2000/97, after I've sorted my data and I'm in 'filter mode' (the numbers are highlighted in blue), is there a way that I can actually save that filtered data and filter it again (perhaps in 'auto filter') without losing my original filter? (ie. If I've filtered data lines 1-5 and the final results show lines 1,2 and 5 , can I filter again and not have lines 3 and 4 show up?)
Answer: To apply one filter and then another filter without losing the original filter, select a cell within the data that you wish to filter. Under the Data menu, select Filter > AutoFilter.
Microsoft Excel
Next, apply your first filter. In this example, we've selected to filter by "Boston Crab Meat" as the product.
Microsoft Excel
In our example, we see only 3 rows where the product is Boston Crab Meat.
Next, apply your second filter. We've selected an Order ID of 10267. This second filter takes the filtered data and applies a second filter to this data.
Microsoft Excel
Now our spreadsheet will display only those rows whose product is Boston Crab Meat and whose Order ID is 10267.
Microsoft Excel

No comments:

Post a Comment